[discuss] Interesting article

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Tue Jan 14 17:10:50 UTC 2014

Hi Nathalie,
At 08:03 14-01-2014, nathalie coupet wrote:
>Could you explain how removing a country from the Internet in the
>root zone would not prevent this country from being connected to the Internet?

Domain names are not used for the connection to the Internet.  The
country will still have the ability to communicate with the rest of
the internet as the communication link still works.  Please note that
I over-simplified my reply.

>(US DOC authorizes ICANN via an IANA contract, to manage the root
>zone).[1] In addition, even if the US makes this move in the future,
>it will have little impact, since the DNS system is robust and
>decentralized enough to sustain any changes in the root zone file,
>at least in the short term perspective.

I would be interested to read how the conclusion was reached as the
above seems incorrect.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy