[discuss] BR meeting site launched

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Wed Jan 15 11:44:07 UTC 2014

On 15 January 2014 16:07, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in>wrote:
>
>> On 15 January 2014 13:37, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Well, some did not ... Or for whatever reason refused to see what they
>>> were seeing... parminder
>>>

>> Several members of the 1net Steering Committee communicated on the
>> Steering Committee email list that they were deeply uncomfortable with the
>> announcement in the Brazilian 10 Jan press release of 1net's supposed role
>> in the Brazilian meeting  without the Steering Committee, let alone the
>> larger community, having been consulted on this issue. They also requested
>> the Brazilian organisers be asked to amend that press release, to say that
>> they would consult with 1net on these proposals. This would allow us to
>> have an internal debate (including in the 1net SC, which will likely have
>> its first meeting in the next few days).
>>

> Good info here, and its good to observe that the response was collective
> from INet SC members.

To clarify: though a member of academia also expressed discomfort about the
speed at which things were moving, the strongest messages on this issue
came from CS.

>> No response to these proposals has come from the coordinator so far.  All
>> CS members of the 1net SC are in agreement, however, that it is vital to
>> continue to press these issues, and we intend to raise them again
>> (including the question of who made this decision) in the first 1net SC
>> meeting.
>>

> Now this looks like only the CS members of 1Net are concerned about this?

Again to clarify: CS members had a more detailed discussion about this, and
this set of comments merely reflect the outcome of that particular
conversation - nothing more, nothing less.
.

 The reference to 1net as partnering with Brazil in the organisation of the
>> meeting is still only a unilateral plan/suggestion made by Brazil, not
>> confirmed by 1net.
>>

> I hope you are providing us this status as 1Net SC and not as CS in 1Net
> SC   ;)

I'm in fact only restating something that I think we were all first
reminded of on this list by John Curran.

Best,
Anja