[discuss] BR meeting site launched

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 15 16:44:14 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 07:55 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> >Several members of the 1net Steering Committee communicated
>
> >on the Steering Committee email list that they were deeply uncomfortable
>
> >with the announcement in the Brazilian 10 Jan press release of 1net's
> supposed
>
> > role in the Brazilian meeting  without the Steering Committee,
>
> Anja:
>
> I've been looking through the archives and must say that I am somewhat
> disappointed with these expressions.
>
> I think there have been several indications, going back to
> mid-November, that the 1net steering committee would be appointing
> nonstate actors to the 4 committees that would be programming the
> Brazil meeting. After going through a laborious and contentious
> process of appointing people to this committee to do just that, I am
> wondering why Vladimir and others are suddenly expressing fear and
> loathing at the idea that they are actually responsible for doing
> something (and quickly).

  {Parminder} You constantly refuse to acknowledge evidence given to you
that whoever is pushing 1Net seems to have made this announcement
without authorisation, and that the Brazilians soon after made an
announcement that clearly seemed to nullify the one you are talking
about. Overall there clearly being a lot of back and foth on the issue...

> If you read this message:
> http://1net-mail.1net.org/pipermail/steercom/2014-January/000042.html
>  you will find a 1net person saying that he thinks the LOC should
> spend weeks negotiating with the newly appointed 1net committee aboiut
> what it should do, rather than starting to execute. If this is
> correct, and I am not misreading it, I would suggest that committee
> members who are not ready to spring into action are leeting down the
> communities that appointed them.

{Parminder} When IGC and BestBits contributed to their appointment, 1Net
was being mooted just as a cross stakeholder discussion space. John
Curran among others have said this repeatedly on this list, and he
should know. It is this reason that while I welcomed such a platform I
paid little attention to selection of its SC. In fact, in taking on a
completely different role without referring back to the concerned
'communities' the committee members will be going beyond the mandate
they have... I for one dont see why 1Net needs to do an organising role
when multistakeholder Brazil meeting organising committees are in
place... Why this duplication... Anyone who proposes such duplication
has to make the case for it. To me it is completely inexplicable.

parminder