[discuss] 1Net, Brazil and other RE: BR meeting site launched (complete answer)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jan 15 19:46:21 UTC 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 5:08 AM, "Vladimir Radunovic" <vladar at diplomacy.edu<mailto:vladar at diplomacy.edu>> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

ahead of the first (and constitutive) meeting of the 1Net Steering committee in the following days, and thinking about the substantial questions related to 1Net (many been discussed already on this list), please share your views on the following:

1.       How do you see the role and potentials of 1Net? What should be its task in a wider IG context?

(Taking into account the discussed views that it might have been started with particular intentions and following particular interests, but now providing (or hoping) that 1Net would be able to resist these and gradually establish its legitimacy in the wider community)

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131203_framework_for_recent_internet_governance_montevideo_to_1net/

2.       What should be the role of 1Net towards major IG fora - IGF, ICANN, ITU, and other?

Support and partner as deemed appropriate by 1net Steering
Committee

3.       What relation should 1Net have with the Brazil meeting?

The Brazilian organisers suggested in a press release (and as Anja clarified: 1Net has not been consulted on nor has decided on any of these, so we can only understand this as suggestions) several roles for 1Net, including the "partnership" in organising the Brazil event... Should 1Net be a partner, and if so how should it contribute to Brazil meeting (and how it should not)?

No view either way, however, there will remain much work to be done
after Brazil, and one hopes that the 1net initiative will be around to
help make progress in areas chosen by the Steering Committee.

Thanks for asking these questions!
/John

Disclaimers: My views alone.  Ignore earlier reply posting - it escaped my iPhone before completion... ;-)