[discuss] Options for root zone (was Re: Interesting article)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Jan 17 03:21:49 UTC 2014

Well, just for the exercise, let me try and outline some requirements.

In accordance with the multistakeholder model for Internet governance

The function for final authorisation of any changes to the root zone rests
solely with ICANN
Changes to the root zone, once authorised by ICANN internal processes, must
not be subject to any changes or alterations by any external party.
The root zone must be secured against the possibility of operators being
forced to make changes not in full accord with the ICANN stipulated changes
ICANN authorisation processes must be secured against any possibility of any
external body being able to overrule or dictate changes agreed to by ICANN
processes

Thats a two minute effort so I am sure it can be improved on. Probably in
the process of getting any agreement to this there is going to be a
requirement that GAC is fully consulted, and Jovan's suggestion of (I guess
an A root) being secured with diplomatic immunity probably makes sense. But
thats beyond immediate requirements.

Is that useful?

Ian Peter