[discuss] Who is responsible for security

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jan 17 11:36:10 UTC 2014

In message <A01C0C65-85C6-4934-A963-899C52C4AFE9 at oracle.com>, at
08:26:26 on Fri, 17 Jan 2014, Joseph Alhadeff
<joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com> writes
>Finally to take the lock analogy too far, all parties have
>responsibility; the lock makers, the lock installers  as well as the
>users.  The user, for example, cannot reasonably use a suitcase lock to
>secure a house,

Which reminds me of the "TSA approved suitcase locks" available in the
USA which can be opened by inspectors.

>but likewise, the user cannot be expected to have the expertise of either
>the lock maker or installer.

And to a first approximation if someone breaks into your house you are
the only victim. If someone breaks into your computer then there is much
more at stake.
--
Roland Perry