[discuss] [bestbits] Representative Multistakeholder model validity

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sun Jan 19 14:31:16 UTC 2014

Am 19.01.14 10:30, schrieb Mawaki Chango:

> Agree that there is no perfect solution for representation. But we have
> to be concerned with "relatively good representation" because there are
> solutions that are less representative than others and solutions that
> are more representative than others.

Hi Mawaki,

relatively good representation relative to what? All definitions of
internet governance I am aware of are broad and fuzzy, perhaps rightly
so. Now, how can we possibly map the global interests in these matters
as a basis for assessing the quality of representation? I think this is
impossible to do.

My guess is we can only measure representation relative to those people
who speak up on any of the mailing lists revolving around IG themes.

As far as I remember the IGC members have always been painfully aware
that the IGC at least is by no means representative of anyone and
anything which is why we never claimed the right to select the list of
civil society candidates for the MAG. We always knew that there are most
likely other groups out there who might also have good reasons to
nominate people for the MAG and are not even aware of our existence!
Same thing can be said about bestbits, which has roughly the same
subscribers to begin with as Nenna found out.

So I say this one more time before I shut up on this issue:
representativeness is no category that can be sufficiently
operationalized in a transnational or global context.

jeanette

For instance the random process for