[discuss] What about sovereignty?: Re: Problem definition 1, version 5

Klaus Stoll kdrstoll at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:09:41 UTC 2014

Fellow Travelers

Even if I seem to repeat myself again and again, but the issue of
sovereignty also seems to pop up in one form or another again and again,
and maybe, just maybe, it helps to untie this knot by looking at a new
definition of it:

The Internet Ecosystem, by its very nature, does not care too much about
physical boundaries. This is the fundamental reason why countries, whose
authority is based on territory and the concept of sovereignty, struggle
to find their place in a digital world. The uncontrolled free flow of
data, together with the ongoing speed of innovation, seems to be
irreconcilable with the concepts of national territory and sovereign
rights.

      Similar to nation states, many of those organizations and
      individuals involved in the Internet Ecosystem and its governance,
      commonly known as the stakeholders, claim "sole-sovereignty" or
      self-proclaimed sovereignty over specific issues, roles and
      functions. The stability and security of the DNS,
      telecommunication standards, security and human rights, to name
      just some, are well defined "subject-territories" in the Internet
      Ecosystem.

Cyberspace today requires a new understanding of sovereignty.
Sovereignty in the context of Internet Governance is fundamentally
different from the traditional understanding of sovereignty as it is not
based on geographical territories and treaties but on the ability of a
stakeholder or a group of stakeholders in Cyberspace to have specific
expertise and/or infrastructure that is relevant to the Internet
Ecosystem and to have the capacity to manage the decision-making and
implementation processes in a timely and effective way.

Yours

Klaus