[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 14:32:35 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
On 29 Jan 2014 09:20, "Steve Crocker" <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:

> Right.
>
> The larger question is what is the problem that is driving this
discussion?  What isn't working?  Many of us on this are having trouble
understanding why it's useful to discuss "multiple roots", which I put in
quotes because I think the term means different things to different people.

+1 some things are just 1+1=2 while others could give 11. In the case of
naming one root +another root (perhaps icann) will always be equal to a
single digit number of 2(single root) otherwise we did find ourselves
breaking what is not yet broken.
Also naming is a business world, where the best marketer gets his/her root
used. Why then should we worry ourselves in trying to make a name for other
alternate DNS root service providers, if they themselves have not done
their homework.

Cheers!

> Steve
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 29, 2014, at 10:15 AM, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > An excellent point, Steve. It is easy to consider how such a system
would exist without DNSSEC, but it would be significantly more complex to
implement with DNSSEC. I admit I'm not knowledgable enough about DNSSEC to
know if it could be achieved with DNSSEC Lookaside Validation or similar
(though its my understanding that DLV was designed for a multiple trust
anchors?).
> > It is easy to see that those willing to adopt such alternate roots
might be willing to use an alternately configured DNSSEC validator that
would permit the use of such domains, but it would certainly raise
difficult questions about managing multiple trust anchors, and potentially
weaken the protection afforded by DNSSEC.

> > Regards
> >
> > David
> >
> >> On 29 Jan 2014, at 2:38 pm, Steve Crocker <steve at shinkuro.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The end systems would also need multiple trust anchors.
> >>
> >> A deeper problem is that DNNSEC provides definitive assertions about
the non-existence of undelegated names, so there really isn't any room for
"supplemental, non-overlapping" names.

> >> Steve
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

doesn't want cannot and should not even be studied.

and should or should not be studied.  Wrong, but fascinating.

zones, depending on the rate of change in either one. I've modeled the
problem in an academic paper published more than 10 years ago.

expert: please point me to the _current technology_ that supports "two or
more root zones".  Not the coordinated _single root zone_ you posit below
(which is blatantly obvious but _not_ what Ben asked). Specifically, what
name server software, what resolvers, and what applications exist that can
deal with "two or more" instantiations of the DNS namespace as represented
by different root zones (presumably simultaneously)?

trivial to have a root zone server that peers root zone file changes from
other root zones (yes, it needs rules to resolve incompatibilities, but
this isn't that complicated) as long as the other root server allows zone
transfer.
indeed, they exist now - for example OpenNIC (http://www.opennicproject.org/)
peers multiple alternate root zones into one), as long as there are rules
for resolving clashes (ie root zones that give different info for the same
TLD would be a problem, but a peered root zone could simple choose one on a
simple priority rule). Virtually all existing alternate roots peer the IANA
root.
an implementation detail - whether it is built into the DNS protocol
itself, or we use zone transfer (AXFR) and a script, doesn't seem a
significant detail.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/cs/0109021.pdf 'Competing DNS Roots: Creative
Destruction or Just Plain Destruction?'

institutional, economic and operational differences between coordination
that is hierarchical and coordination that comes from bargains among
autonomous actors.

coordination is hierarchical or non-hierarchical, the end result is a
_single namespace_. Most of the folks who get excited about multiple roots
want their own namespace and want to impose that namespace on others.

that combines multiple zone files into one, then a second operator can do
so using different rules for combining sources.

i.e. if they want to add separately administered namespaces, but not remove
or override the namespaces of others - then this isn't problematic. Indeed,
it has happened a few times on a fairly large scale (eg experimental
Chinese IDNs). As noted in Milton's paper, what he calls Type 2 competition
in that paper mentioned above, but I'm calling 'supplemental' (taking the
terminology from Vottorio Bertola here
http://www.wgig.org/docs/book/Vittorio_Bertola.html ) is invariably the
form alternate roots take. Direct clashes between the IANA root and
alternate roots has happened only when ICANN allocated TLDs knowing that
they were already in use in alternate roots (e.g. .biz).
namespace on others' becomes really problematic, and it seems fairly likely
that any alternate root that desires to overrule the IANA root would have
even more negligible take up than supplemental alternate roots, so we are
left only with those who are in dispute over namespaces not allocated by
ICANN, and that can be resolved by simple rules of prioritisation within
the process by which your peered root zone file is created.

administrator of the authoritative namespace) do about such supplemental
namespaces - ignore them entirely, actively discourage them, treat them as
experimental spaces that might ultimately be acknowledged (either by
migrating them into the IANA root zone, or by permanently reserving them so
that there will never be a clash), etc.

but that simply results in a coordinated single namespace. There are a
myriad ways in which to solve the coordinated single namespace problem
(hint: ICANN is one of them). That isn't (as far as I can tell) what Ben
was asking about.

that is likely they would be supplementing the ICANN namespace, but not
actively clashing with it), but are mutually incompatible (in that multiple
namespaces have different assignments for various supplemental names). This
would be neither a single coordinated namespace, nor a totally competing
namespace, and I would argue is easily the most likely scenario for
competing alternate roots (and to some degree, is the situation we
currently have, it is just that currently the take up rates of alternate
roots are extremely small).