[discuss] Real world Impact of multiple roots

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 29 17:36:42 UTC 2014

On 29-Jan-14 10:47, Andrew Sullivan wrote:> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at
09:10:01AM -0500, Avri Doria wrote:

>> >I think the problem is that there are those who want to be able to
>> >innovate by creating new names, name authorities and perhaps even
>> >schema without being subject to a single point of control, ICANN,
>> >with its outrageous prices and at times absurd processes.

> For very close to all of the above, there is little reason to have
> anything but the most casual link to ICANN.  Register a name in any of
> the gTLDs and you're done.  You can do this for well under $20/year,
> which hardly seems like an "outrageous price", and one's interaction
> with ICANN boils down to the consensus policies around WHOIS data.  If
> you don't like that, you can register through some anonymizing
> service; it's still not costly.

And here we come to another one of the argument resistant issues on
names, moved a level up from alternate root, for some definition of
'alternate' and 'root,' to new gTLDs.

- There are a sufficient number of gTLDs and adding any more is just a
vainglorious/acquisitive/dangerous pursuit.  You can do anything you
want at the second level. [a variant of this argument extends to: in
fact why do you need a domain name at all - just use a service providers
service to do what you need] (not attributing this to any specific
person just describing a general type of argument)

- Let a thousand flowers bloom and see what kind of innovation people
come up with at all layers.

avri

avri