[discuss] Roadmap for globalizing IANA

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Wed Mar 5 22:52:32 UTC 2014

Milton:

The "broader implication" of my position is that I am questioning the
solutions being proposed.  The entire governance process was formed in a
much less than perfect fashion when you consider some of the process
chaos that broke out after Jon Postel's passing. The system is less than
perfect - agreed.   I understand the frustration of a discussion that
has taken 16 years with some evolution, milestones and inflection
points, but lacking the end results that many were hoping for.  There
have been folks who take issue on current implementation arguing of
abuse and possible abuse, you have provided more detail than most
related to your concerns, so I appreciate that. However when we go from
a know solution that may be imperfect but working to a proposed
solution, it seems that the questions as to process, credibility and
assurance are not only legitimate, but necessary.  For those who rely on
the Internet for commercial and other functions, the stability,
functionality and lack of fragmentation are essential elements of
concern.  This issue is much less of a question of comfort with the
status quo than it is a need for close analyisis of proposed models as
workable solutions.  There is no intent to prejudge solutions as good or
bad, but there is likewise no taking them on faith.  One of the
unfortunate results of legal education in the US is first starting with
the worst case scenario and moving from there.  A number of folks on
this list do not consider the question of oversight to be a red herring
and relying solely on the constraints of the current ICANN functions on
this new proposed group as insufficient process related to oversight.
The separation of duties between policy and operation often bleed across
each other as there often policy implications in methods of implementation.

I indicated that I understood the proposed answers during the course of
the threads but did not accept the conclusions you reached in the
solution. While it was nice of you to put them all on page it did not
change the outcome.  The articulation of process questions was not to
tease out the proposed answers, but to highlight concerns that remained
despite the proposed answers.    To me it still presents itself as the
substitution of one form of potential problem for a potentially
different form of probalem.    Finally there are actually ways to test
proposals and processes which go from simulations to scenario analysis
to actual tests of sub elements of process.  While I think the
Romney/Obama example is not applicable to this issue, it is interesting
to note that many people have trouble supporting a candidate who has had
no legislative or executive experience because they have no experience
curve to use as a benchmark...

At this point it may be best to agree to disagree...

Best-

Joe