[discuss] Just Net Coalition contribution on Principles for Netmundial.br

S Moonesamy sm+1net at elandsys.com
Sat Mar 8 00:19:47 UTC 2014

Hi Milton,
At 12:22 07-03-2014, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>I'll take that as a "no." You have no evidence for your assertion.

I am not one of the signatories.  I do not have any direct or
indirect interest in the group which made the assertion.  That is why
I skipped the question.

>One of the things they do about it is bypass the stifling factor.
>You seem to be saying that, as a matter of _Internet governance
>principle_, we should try to stop that.  I disagree.

I did not argue for any "internet governance principle".

>If corruption-avoidance leads people to use the internet to bypass
>their system, and you try to stop them in the name of Internet
>governance, then it is an internet problem.

A lot of topics would become internet problems if they are taken up
as part of internet governance.  That path would make it very
difficult to solve internet problems where the approval of various
entities, which do not share the same perspectives, is needed.

>Your first sentence makes no sense to me.

Ok.

>As for the second, you are saying that every individual internet
>user needs to become a trade negotiator? What if the special
>interests who benefit from high tariffs are in control of the
>government and don't allow alternate voices to be heard?

Governments usually decide about trade [1].  There are usually
special interests when money is involved.  These interests have the
motivation to stifle the voices of people or organizations taking a
position against the said interests.  The average (individual)
internet user unfortunately does not have any say in such matters as
he or she does not have the financial means to have a say.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/tif_e/org6_e.htm