[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Mar 13 16:26:23 UTC 2014

At 16:39 13/03/2014, michael gurstein wrote:
>Mr. Snowden has pointed us to the fact that one major and in many contexts,
>dominant "stakeholder" has "set fire" to the Internet.  Is MSism perhaps
>simply a way of ensuring that the various actual or potential arsonists have
>an equal seat at the Internet governance table?

Michael,

Very good question! Outside of *any other* consideration, how can we
practically make otherwise? When you think of it: the internet is a
virtual territory. Governing it means first makling it real. We
always have considered that the Governance was only made of the Good
guies. But how to contain, blame and condemn Bad ones if they are
left in the hidden, i.e. with a tremendous advantage at being bad? In
real life, one can arrest and jail bodies. How to do the equivalent
in a virtual world? In a way or another we must embody interests
enough for nasty actors to be identified, blocked and punished.

jfc