[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:05:54 UTC 2014

John,

For a variety of personal and other reasons I've had very limited
time/bandwidth for matters such as contributions to NetMundial over the last
couple of months or so. Whatever time/bandwidth I've had available I've
chosen to apply it in areas where I think I could make my best contribution
notably the Community Informatics Declaration and the Just Net process and
statements.

I see little value or probable contribution in generating ad hoc "models" of
governance as you (and others) have been calling for.  I'll leave that to
the proponents of a shape shifting MSism where there appears to be a new
"model" to respond to every challenge or contingency and yet no one is
willing to answer some quite simple and direct questions concerning process
and procedure, accountability and transparency, methodology and so on
however hard they work at propagating the meme.

I would be delighted to undertake/participate/contribute to a serious effort
to work through the very complex and extraordinarily important issues
associated with Internet (and other) Governance in a post-Snowden
Internetworked environment. Unfortunately no one seems willing to take these
matters on with the seriousness that I think they warrant, preferring it
appears to propagate slogans rather than concepts, and presumptions rather
than analyses.

My own starting point for these matters including if you want, my approach
to Democracy in an Internet post-Snowden environment is subsumed within the
CI Declaration and the Just Net documents which dare I say, is rather more
of an explicit starting point than anything I have yet seen from the MSists
among us.

Best,