[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Mon Mar 17 03:50:53 UTC 2014

Steve,

You are correct.  The "assignment" of the IANA contract may be a useful paradigm to isolate what responsibilities and obligations NTIA is transitioning,  but the NTIA statement does not call for the NTIA to be replaced by an organization (new or existing) performing the NTIA's role (though it could be) or for the NTIA's role to be performed or enforced pursuant to a contract (though it could be).  The drawing board is actually fairly open when it comes to mechanisms and solutions, and the focus should be on issues (what needs to be fixed) and principles (what needs to be maintained) at this stage.

As for whether this list can focus on the functions covered by the current IANA contract, I tend to doubt that will happen.  While I haven't been a fan of the previous attempts or suggestions to split this list,  perhaps the time has come to either (a) split the list into two lists, one to discuss this transition, and another for everything else, or (b) at the least, tag all emails on this subject with, e.g., [IANA Transition] to distinguish them from all the other topics under discussion here.

Greg Shatan

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Crocker [mailto:steve at shinkuro.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:33 PM
To: Shatan, Gregory S.
Cc: discuss at 1net.org; governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight of Web Policymaking Body

Greg, et al,

I do not read NTIA's announcement as calling for the creation of a new organization nor the movement or replacement of the current contract with another contract.  Instead, I believe NTIA is asking for the community to think through how to replace the role the NTIA has performed, which is only a review of the root zone update actions and ICANN's processes and reporting.

I think it would be very helpful to everyone to focus first on coming up with a list of *issues* and *principles* before suggesting specific mechanisms or solutions.  By "issue" I mean a problem that needs to be solved or an aspect of the current arrangement that is not satisfactory in some fashion.  And the focus here really needs to be on the functions covered by the current IANA contract.  Issues related to gTLD contractual matters, overall organization of ICANN, non-ICANN matters such as network surveillance by various governments, etc. are quite far outside the scope.  There are other venues for discussing those topics.

By "principles" I mean qualities that need to be preserved going forward.

If the community can agree on a set of issues and principles, I think the path forward will be much clearer.  If the issues and principles are in place, choosing a specific mechanism becomes, to use the tongue-in-cheek phrasing from the technical community, just an implementation detail.

Steve