[discuss] [governance] U.S. to Give Up Oversight ofWeb Policymaking Body

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Mar 17 04:24:52 UTC 2014

If we separate this out, and try to make this very simple, there is only one task the US Government had and which has to change under new arrangements – and that is the oversight function.

The only necessary task for the next 18 months is, as far as I can see, to come up with an acceptable ICANN-led alternative to previous USG role in oversight function of IANA. Every other IANA function could easily stay exactly as it is now.

That would be certainly be the path of least resistance; but it may not be the most sensible operational or strategic direction. That should be examined, but the central issue is how to reconstruct the oversight function.

So it would be good to concentrate on the alternatives and the political imperatives here for oversight function only.

Ian Peter