[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 4, Issue 145

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Mar 17 22:17:28 UTC 2014

While my name is not Adiel, I am happy to respond to the question...

Back in ICANNs early days last century, .nz sought to update the IANA
record for the Technical Contact of .nz, which was initially completed
by IANA, and then undone. IANA, on instruction from ICANN, set the
record back to "University of Waikato" as the Technical Contact, whereas
by then the actual registry function was being operated by "The Internet
Society of New Zealand"'s subsidiary "Domainz".

The then ICANN CEO insisted that the above change was a "redelegation"
(which it was not, the initial friendly redelegation from the University
of Waikato to the Internet Society of New Zealand had been completed in
1995, and the transition of the Technical Contact was held back until
the register for .nz changed hands to Domainz, which was an ISOCNZ
subsidiary.

The only way ICANN would attend to the change of Technical Contact could
be attended to would require .nz having a 3-way contract between ICANN,
the Government of New Zealand and ISOCNZ. We did not believe this to be
legitimate, and certainly there was no agreed policy for ICANN to have
taken this stance, it was pure dictatorial arrogance.

Very few ccTLDs (maybe 2) succumbed to this pressure for contracts with
ICANN to achieve delegations or redelegations.

It took several years and a couple of CEOs later for ICANN to recognise
it did not have such rights over ccTLDs, and then began to attend to
these previously requested changes.

So it took more than 5 years to have an update to the root zone from the
legitimate operator of the top level domain to be put into effect. In
all of that time, the IANA Technical Contact was pointing to the
previous operator, and despite repeated requests from the .nz operator
to remedy, ICANN entrenched itself into its position thus contributing
to a broken Internet.

Cheers

Keith