[discuss] discuss Digest, Vol 4, Issue 145

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Mar 18 10:18:44 UTC 2014

Hi Keith,

thanks for this history. As I remember, part of the pressure on ccTLDs to enter into contractual relationship with ICANN (the proposed trilateral mechanism was nicknamed the T-Bone) was the plan, that ccTLD should pay for the IANA service (based on the number of name registrations under the given ccTLD). Among others, Sabine from DENIC rejected this as a matter of principle. The discussion triggered the elaboration of the GAC ccTLD principles and ICANN gave up the idea to push for contracts with ccTLD registries. Now ccTLDs make, if they wish, voluntary financial contributions.

In my eyes this is a good example how the multistakeholder bottom up open and transparent process works. ICANN was in it early years, still a baby in the craddle, and had to learn a lot. And it learned. Slowly, but it stumbled forward. ICANN is still a teenager. But it has matured. It has still to learn more. In 2018 ICANN becomes a "twen" :-))).

wolfgang