[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 01:45:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Michel Gauthier <mg at telepresse.com> wrote:

>  At 19:57 21/03/2014, 'Andrew Sullivan' wrote:
>
> If you wish to argue there's a subversion of process, you will need a
> better argument better than insinuation of this sort.  We have plenty
> of process problems around the Internet without making up new ones
> that we don't have.
>

> RFC 3869, IAB:
>
> "The principal thesis of this document is that if commercial funding is
> the main source of funding for future Internet research, the future of the
> Internet infrastructure could be in trouble. In addition to issues about
> which projects are funded, the funding source can also affect the content
> of the research, for example, towards or against the development of open
> standards, or taking varying degrees of care about the effect of the
> developed protocols on the other traffic on the Internet."
>
> ISOC:
>
> *"Unqiue benefits for our Platinum Contributors*
>
>    - the opportunity to designate funds for sponsorship of specific
>    Internet activities and projects."

If you are trying to make an argument by quoting rfc3869 and then quoting a
page from the ISOC website I think you will have to do better than that, as
one is related to research and the Comcast partnership is about IETF
meetings and other activities.  ISOC itself doesn't do research in the way
that DNS-OARC or CAIDA or others do it.  ISOC does surveys mainly and
recently economic effects of IXPs, etc.

If you would prefer public funding for IETF activities, then please state
that, otherwise, one can't tell what your argument is all about.

rgds,

McTim