[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 21:47:50 UTC 2014

Tks Stephen,

Please note that my comments were meant for the larger audience of those
with an interest in how the Internet is and is to be managed/governed i.e.
all of those impacted by the Internet which by now includes most everyone in
the world.  It was only incidentally meant for those, including those most
active on this (and other IG related) lists, for whom no argument that
presents critical analyses or questions concerning this drive towards MSism
apparently can be countenanced.

What I said was:

It seems quite explicit that the IETF and ISOC, two of the major pillars of
multistakeholderism which is so vehemently being promoted by the US
Government and its followers in the tech and civil society communities as a
replacement for democratic governance of the Internet, have long histories
of accepting payments from Comcast a major US corporation which is widely
understood as being among the least ethical and possibly most active in
undermining US policy and regulatory processes in support of its own narrow
economic self-interests (increasingly encompassing the Internet).

So far no one has questioned the truth of this statement.

"We" and here I mean all of those in the larger audience I'm referring to
above are being asked to accept this state of affairs unquestioningly.

Earlier I noted some highly questionable experiences with the MS process as
currently being operationalized through 1Net and elsewhere.  I received no
useful explanation or response.

Additionally I introduced a series of questions with respect to how various
"risks" associated with MSism might be handled given the significance that
is being given to MSism as the preferred mechanism for Internet (and other?)
governance arrangements. I received no explanation or response.

In this current interaction I noted what appeared to be at least the
potential for a significant conflict of interest in two of the primary
current mechanisms for MSism which as we know is being explicitly described
as a post-democratic governance mechanism for the Internet.  You have seen
the quality and content of the responses to my questions and comments in
this area.

I have made no accusations either explicit or implicit concerning the IETF
or ISOC.  I don't know enough about either of them to have any opinion in
these matters.

However, those who do know rather more about the role that Comcast is
playing in the current communications policy and regulatory activities in
the US are raising warning flags to such an extent that one has little
alternative but to question the role that Comcast may be playing in the
quite parallel global Internet "governance" mechanisms as per the IETF and
ISOC. If nothing else there is the appearance of a conflict of interest and
given the other risks already pointed to with respect to MSism and Global
Internet Governance one surely must add this to the list i.e. is it safe to
proceed to a governance framework where there are no evident or explicit
boundaries between private sector activities and interests and the public
interest.

Of course, as I believe is the case for many on this list, there is no
belief that the Internet should be managed or governed in the public
interest (rather than as a concatenation of, or "consensus" among private
interests) then this question has no meaning.  However, one hopes that if
nothing else, the NetMundial meeting will clearly affirm that the
overwhelming priority of the peoples of the world is to have the Internet
governed in the public interest and with the principles for Internet
governance being based on this fundamental value.

Best,

Mike