[discuss] Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 23 06:59:35 UTC 2014

This is what IETF's own RFC 3869 says

"The principal thesis of this document is that if commercial funding   is the main source of funding for future Internet research, the    future of the Internet infrastructure could be in trouble.
  In    addition to issues about which projects are funded, the funding source can also affect the content of the research, for example,   towards or against the development of open standards, or taking
    varying degrees of care about the effect of the developed protocols   on the other traffic on the Internet."

It is important to recognise that research is not a monopoly function,
but governance definitionally is. So, if commercial funding can distort
Internet research, it is but obviously that it has to be an absolute no
no for governance functions (standards making for something as socially
important today as the Internet, in absence of any further neutral
public oversight constitutes a governance function).

parminder