[discuss] FW: Comcast undertakes 9 year IETF cosponsorship!?

Harry Halpin hhalpin at w3.org
Sun Mar 23 15:45:52 UTC 2014

On 03/23/2014 04:16 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> As I  said before I am not sufficiently familiar with the IETF to comment on
> its internal processes.
>
> However, the IETF is presented (and most of those involved appear to
> enthusiastically welcome its role) as a significant element in, and even
> exemplar of multistakeholderism where MSism is the preferred modality for
> public policy making in an Internet Governance context.
>
> Issues of conflict of interest, lobbyist registration/transparency,
> suborning of processes etc. would thus need to apply with the IETF equally
> as elsewhere unless of course traditional concerns for ensuring that the
> public interest is foremost in public policy making is seen as no longer
> relevant in the midst of MSist "enhanced democracy".
>
> How precisely this could/should be done in the overall context of MSism and
> specifically the IETF (or whatever) would seem to me to be a rather basic
> element in any useful plan for the implementation of MSism which goes beyond
> memes and slogans. This BTW is something whose presentation I have been
> waiting on with considerable anticipation for a very long time.

Both the IETF and W3C try to be as transparent as possible via public
archives and a well-documented decision-making process as well as a
clear procedure for getting involved. Remember, *anyone* can get
involved by just joining a mailing list - and if possible, attending
meetings. I for one really do support the public getting involved, and
personally lobbied for the EFF and neutral academics to get involved in
reviewing the W3C Web Crypto API. For those of us in MS-based
governance, the main problem is lack of volunteer effort.

I'd personally rather have a transparent process where anyone can join
and contributions are based on merit rather than representative-based
voting - particularly in an era where many such traditional government
bodies have lost legitimacy in the eyes of the public. If anything, I do
agree we need to get more end-users, developers, and civil society
actors involved in Internet governance. However, just as large
corporations can easily contract out people to invest in open
multi-stakeholder groups, in more traditional bodies often civil society
actors can be bought by governments or corporations as well. I don't
think this problem is in particular any worse in Internet
multi-stakeholder bodies than in more traditional bodies -  or any other
political process for that matter.

I fondly remember being involved in the Copenhagen Climate Summit in
2009, where a mixture of civil society actors and governments more
interested in either coal-based growth or maintaining the status quo
manage to wreck the  important possible treaty, so no deal was done on
what was perhaps the largest issue facing future generations. For
example, earnest and well-meaning indigenous rights groups from
countries like Bolivia managed to back the (lack of a) deal that worked
out perfectly well for the governments of the United States and China,
to the detriment of the general public.

So I'd rather see people get involved in IETF, W3C, and ICANN. All these
groups can of course and should strive to be more transparent and
accountable to the public, and for most people getting involved (at
least in W3C or IETF) is quite easy - just join a mailing list. Then
work personally to make sure transparency is maintained.

    cheers,
          harry