[discuss] American For-Profit at the Heart of Internet

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 09:04:51 UTC 2014

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 24 Mar 2014 12:44, "Pranesh Prakash" <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I'm curious about the scope of NTIA's instructions to ICANN to come up
with a transition proposal.

>> As the first step, NTIA is asking the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN) to convene global stakeholders to develop a
proposal to transition the current role played by NTIA in the coordination
of the Internet's domain name system (DNS).

> A transition from NTIA's cooperative agreement with Verisign could mean
two things:

>  1. Verisign's counterpart in that agreement gets replaced.
>  2. Verisign gets replaced as the root zone maintainer.

Hmm...I am unclear why either of this options will happen. ( ref:NTIA
NCR-92-18742  Amendment Number Twenty-Four (24 )). If for instance the
transition remains within ICANN structure then I think things may still
look pretty much the same. With just a few adjustment in process without
necessarily affecting the existing maintainers.

Cheers!
> I'm unclear why Verisign, an American for-profit subject to the whims of
ill-informed US lawmakers, should continue to hold on to its monopoly as
the root zone maintainer.