[discuss] Opportunity for input on the development process for IANA oversight transition plan

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Mar 24 09:08:26 UTC 2014

1net Discuss Participants -

Folks may be aware that after the NTIA announcement,  ICANN released
a draft timeline for development of an IANA oversight transition plan -

     http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/functions-transfer-process-14mar14-en.pdf

Today at ICANN 49 in Singapore, there was a session which discussed
the need to develop an IANA Accountability plan, as it will be necessary
to provide NTIA with a community-wide plan for transition of the oversight
duties which they presently perform.

ICANN is coordinating the effort to develop this plan for IANA transition,
and the first step is establishing a formal timeline and process for plan
development.

ICANN has provided a mail list for expedited input on the _process_ to be
used for IANA transition plan development. This includes items such as
feedback on the timeline document above, engagement processes, etc.

The list is here: <ianatransition at icann.org>  (An public archive is also
available here: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ianatransition/>)

Note that the goal is to gather the input on the plan development process to
be used by 27 March 2014, and then combine the mail list discussion and the
discussions happening at ICANN 49, with the resulting timeline and next steps
to be released for public comment and community feedback on 7 April 2014.

If you have specific views on process for development of the IANA transition
plan, I would suggest that you contribute promptly.  If I see an official ICANN
announcement on this matter, I will forward to 1net and you can discard this
email.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone.