[discuss] On the political side ....

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Wed Mar 26 15:10:30 UTC 2014

Dear all,

apologies for the belated reaction. Just a small clarification.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Jefsey <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:

> 2. On the EU face:

[...]
> "The European Commission will work together with the US and with all
> global stakeholders to implement the globalisation of the IANA functions in
> a process that is accountable and transparent, and in a manner that secures
> the open Internet and that will underpin human rights."
>

> Nelly for sure has not read the NTIA statement: "NTIA will not accept a
> proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government-led or an
> inter-governmental organization solution". An EC+EU work would mean a
> government-led solution.

The Statement of the European Commission of 15 March which you quoted
(available at http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_STATEMENT-14-70_en.htm)
clearly says the Commission will work "together with the US *and all global
stakeholders*" (emphasis added). I'm at a loss to understand how you would
interpret that as a "EC+EU government-led solution".

Best,

Andrea

--
I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.