[discuss] What kind of "governance" do you want? (was Re: What is MSism?)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:50:53 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 00:13, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> The process of getting rough consensus on that document did
> not at any stage involve assessing whether IETF participants
> think that pervasive monitoring (PM) is morally wrong or anything
> similar.

And that underlines what I was trying to say here a while back.

Technical measures (such as making Internet protocols resistant
to pervasive monitoring) are one thing. Moral judgments (such
as that pervasive monitoring is evil, or that pervasive
monitoring is desirable) are another thing. And, incidentally,
neither of them are matters of global Internet governance.
But you know that I think very little deserves the name of
'Internet governance.'

    Brian