[discuss] Internet: the INTER-connection of local NET-works

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon May 5 12:07:15 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 10:37:43PM -0600, willi uebelherr wrote:
> In general I formulate the following development principles:
> a) massively decentralized
> b) massively parallel
> c) massively redundant
>
> From that directly follows that our global communication system
> rests on independent local networks.

If by "local" you mean "geographically local", then I strongly
disagree that it follows.  "Independent networks", yes.  "Local" ones,
no.

> Communication takes place primarily locally and regionally. In
> families, between friends and colleagues.

I would like strong evidence of this, please.  A really large part of
_my_ communication happens with colleagues at the IETF, and they're
not in any meaningful sense "local" to me.  In my company (which is
small -- only 300ish people) we have offices on both coasts of the US,
in the UK, and in Australia; I have people who report to me working
from Spain and Canada.  I interact at least as much with them as I do
anyone living in the same town as I.  I think your premise is false.

If it is false, it follows that a tight link of the network
architecture to geography is a mistake in the philosophical sense.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com