[discuss] List membership management

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue May 6 13:00:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 08:00:59AM -0400, joseph alhadeff wrote:

> The problem appears to really be that there is no list organizer
> willing or able to make a clarifying and transparent set of rules.

That isn't exactly fair.  To their credit, the list organizers decided
back in the deepest winter (where I was, anyway) that a mailing list
wouldn't work, and tried to move the whole thing to a web forum.  I
hate web forums, so I didn't participate there & more or less stopped
paying attention.  Then I got a note from someone asking that I
re-engage on list.  So I did.  I think the steering committee decided
that moderating a mailing list was beyond their ability to commit (I
don't blame them -- I wouldn't moderate this list either), so here we
are.  We have to self-moderate and put up with knaves and fools.  I
find that procmail or sieve helps.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com