[discuss] Two accountability questions - help pls- Workshop 23 - ICANN accountability

manning bill bmanning at isi.edu
Tue Sep 2 14:25:52 UTC 2014

so,  there is agreement that a global, unique, largely ephemeral namespace is critical to the perception of a single global Internet, which is actually
comprised by the interconnection of unique and largely autonomous networks that may or may not use the same suites of protocols.

there is ample evidence that a single, globally unique namespace does not exist:  https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/alt-tlds-roots-report-31mar06-en.pdf
in particular sections 2.1 and 2.2.   Indeed,  ISC formally modified BIND to more easily support fragmented namespaces with the introduction of “split” DNS service.

the same report also suggests that there does indeed exist a significant and predominant namespace…   the one managed by the root zone editors (ICANN via the IANA Functions
Operator, NTIA, and Verisign) and published by the Root Server Operators.

There does not seem to be a serious question that the publication and availability of this root zone data is a problem. Indeed the Root Server Operators seem to be doing a fairly
good job in supporting a global namespace.  (yes, there are concerns and there is a venue for that discussion (see RSSAC Caucus))

The real problem is, as you state, the process for the management of the contents of what is the root of the predominant namespace.    Of course once the process issues are hammered
out, will the old expectations on the RSO’s still hold?

/bill
Neca eos omnes.  Deus suos agnoscet.