[discuss] [IANAxfer] [ccnso-igrg] Two accountability questions - help pls- Workshop 23 - ICANN accountability

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 11 18:15:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:09:49AM -0700, Mike Roberts wrote:

> Before this thread goes any further, someone should ask a lawyer
> familiar with California statutes to give an opinion on the ICANN
> Board’s ability to delegate its powers to a third party entity,
> whether inside the bylaws or not.

That's actually another thing that I like about John's idea -- it
isn't actually giving others any positive power, but instead giving
others the negative power to stop the Board (basically, by
reconstituting it).  I suppose you could argue that vacating a
decision would be exercising a power, and if that's the case (I have
no basis on which to claim one way or the other) then perhaps only the
member-removal option ought to be chosen.  The reason I would like to
have both is because I think it'd be really disruptive to remove Board
members with any frequency.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com