[discuss] [bestbits] [Internet Policy] Net Neutrality in the next Internet

nathalie coupet nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 00:18:11 UTC 2015

I stand corrected. Nathalie
      From: Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com>
 To: David Cake <dave at difference.com.au>
Cc: nathalie coupet <nathaliecoupet at yahoo.com>; Christian de Larrinaga <cdel at firsthand.net>; Brian E. Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>; 1Net List <discuss at 1net.org>; Best Bits <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>; internetpolicy <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>
 Sent: Monday, March 9, 2015 7:16 PM
 Subject: Re: [bestbits] [Internet Policy] Net Neutrality in the next Internet

First, the name is not "Van Johansen", it is "Van Jacobson", I know
Van, he is very smart and has made great contributions to the
development of networking technology. He deserves to have his name
right!

The architecture being discussed is described here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_data_networking

where they call it "Named Data Networking".

The basic idea is straightforward enough:

Currently you access information on the internet by identifying its
location, usually indirectly.

Ultimately that location is identifed by an IP address such as
192.74.137.5.

*** IF YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN NOW SKIP FROM HERE ****

We usually don't use those directly so instead we might start with a
domain name such as www.TheWorld.com which DNS translates to that IP
address. Or a URI such as http://www.TheWorld.com (possibly with
further qualification.)

As a further indirection we might discover that is what we want via a
search engine or link in another document but nonetheless the goal is
that IP address no matter how many levels of indirection it takes to
arrive there.

At a lower level, once identified (located), our packets are routed to
that IP address probably passing through one or more routers.

That is how the internet works currently, in brief other than how
routing itself works.

*** TO HERE ****

IN THE PROPOSED scheme, Named Data Networking:

A unit of information, say an online book or movie, is identified not
by its location but by its content in some way.

*** YOU MIGHT BE DONE READING UNLESS YOU WANT MORE DETAIL ***

*** OR YOU CAN SKIP TO HOW THIS IS NOT A CDN ***

So, for example, if I wanted to watch "Gone With The Wind" rather than
somehow (which is key!) discovering that I can watch it via the
Netflix service and locating netflix.com, etc I would simply say
something like "movie:gone with the wind" because that would be how it
is stored.

At some low level its location still has to be identified but I think
the key concept is that I, as the consumer, have not identified that
location (e.g., netflix.com). I only identified what it is I want,
that movie (or book, etc.)

So in the proposed scheme you remove (or supplement) the interface
everyone currently uses -- namely chasing down and identifying the
location of data -- which is done, ultimately, via IP address (and
routing to/from that address) and identify what you want only by its
content.

That is, again, rather than netflix.com and so forth you would only
say something like "move:gone with the wind" and let the mechanics of
the system get that for you.

You can read the wikipedia page for more detail. The devil is
certainly in the details of how this might be implemented and used.

*** AS PROMISED: HOW THIS IS NOT A CDN ***

It's not really like a CDN because CDNs are still answering requests
for data identified by location, they just are serving as a
short-circuit.

** YOU MIGHT REALLY BE DONE READING UNLESS YOU WANT MORE DETAIL ***

That is, rather than proceeding to that location the CDN's nodes
intervene and respond with the location's content.

So if I want CNN's front page I say http://www.cnn.com and the CDN
intercepts that and says "here it is!" without my request having to
actually travel all the way to wherever CNN's servers lie.

But in a CDN you're still identifying content in terms of its
location.

As an extreme example if for some reason (e.g., hijacking!) CNN's
front page had only a copy of Gone With The Wind that's what the CDN
would hand you.

The CDN has no inherent understanding that you requested that location
because you wanted to see news headlines, you never said that, it was
only implied because you happen to know www.cnn.com should contain
news headlines.

The CDN only knows you requested whatever is at www.cnn.com, a
location, and handed you its contents presumably from a closer
(network-wise) location in the hope that is faster and reduces traffic
across the internet's backbone and the remote CNN servers.

But you will get whatever is at that location you named, you don't
indicate what you want.

*** EVERYTHING BELOW IS JUST QUOTED TEXT FROM PREVIOUS MESSAGES ***
*** AN ANNOYING CUSTOM ON THESE LISTS BECAUSE IT'S DIFFICULT TO ***
*** INCORPORATE PREVIOUS MESSAGE TEXT ONLY BY REFERENCE! ***

From: David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> >Is it just me, or does this
just sound like a very mild generalisation of t= >he idea of CDNs like
Akamai (similar services provided through Amazons AWS)= >? A concept
already in use by most large internet media providers?