[discuss] Academic sector appointments to the 1net steering committee

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 20:54:52 UTC 2013

Dear Seun,

I had spent sometime around Giganet in recent past and I know about Milton
and his activities in this domain, so I am allowing myself to say I find
parts of your latest message quite unfair. I appreciate Milton offering to
consider any name of a suitable candidate from Africa but not even member
of Giganet anyone might want to put forward. You mentioned collective
entities a lot: Africa, Africa community, Research education networks, etc.
but what is needed here most directly is an individual's name, or two (yes
from Africa but) nobody can put 'Africa community' on a list of candidates!
So if you know of a suitable candidate or those Research/education networks
you mentioned that could have provided candidates, I'd suggest you take the
message to them and ask them to do so. It is no one particular's issue to
go around looking for stakeholders that are not involved in this space or
aware of this process at this point in time; it is incumbent upon any one
and all of us to so, if we are so inclined.

Milton made it clear from the get go that he was speaking for Giganet and
that Giganet was going to provide candidates from academic affiliation,
which they did. It's a pity there was no volunteer from Africa, but still
there is the possibility to propose a name from outside Giganet and it's up
to anyone who's willing to do so to go ahead and do that.

>From what I know and understood from the exchange, what was meant is that
the academic types often are reluctant spending time on academically
unproductive stuff... things that do not advance their research,
scholarship. That was in fact to explain why within Giganet they didn't get
that many volunteers. Again, nothing to do with presuming Africa unable to
handle this or that. In fact, while we further need a lot of capacity
building in Africa, I don't think we're still at that point where anyone
(even the most ignorant person about Africa  among us in this space) would
think the whole continent lacks of capacity to field a candidate for the
kind of work the /1net  SC is supposed to do. I wonder if you are not
yourself unwittingly underestimating Africa (my turn to talk collective,)
at least by the implications of your line of arguments. For apart from the
names you mentioned, there were other early African players in the IG space
who have chosen to retire from it (so you might not know them) such as
Prof. Clement Dzidonou of Ghana and others from Senegal (am forgetting the
names) and I'm sure from a number of other countries.

It would be helpful that any candidate at this point be fairly familiar
with aspects of IG and with the actors, given the nature of the decisions
they will be participating in (unless they take time to go to other people
to enquire and inform their decision every time.) I see you're affiliated
to a university. If your profile is academic (as opposed to, say, IT
support service at the university), I would encourage you to be candidate
on the Giganet list and I'd be happy to support your candidacy.

Cheers!
Mawaki

*Mawaki Chango, PhD*
*Founder & Principal, DIGILEXIS Consulting*
http://www.digilexis.com
m.chango at digilexis.com
twitter.com/digilexis
twitter.com/dig_mawaki