[discuss] [bestbits] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 26 18:09:08 UTC 2013

Dear Carlos.

Thanks for this report....

Apparently, this meeting of the local organising group (LOG) has moved
the pieces around quite a bit, and I now see the 'Brazil meeting'
shaping up in a rather different manner than what it seemed to be to
begin with....

Most of us saw it basically as a meeting with the Brazilians - initially
the government and then the CGI.Br - as the convening 'neutral' trusted
party, which would of course take along all stakeholders and so on....
But now for the first time I see the co-ownership of the meeting
beginning to split almost equally between the Brazilians and the  I* group.

ICANN now co chairs the 'Brazil meeting' - which is the first time I
hear such a thing, although I have not been following discussions in the
last few weeks and may be wrong. One is not sure why this was found
necessary. So, it is no longer a Brazil meeting, it is Brazil-ICANN
meeting on the 'Future of ......', right?. .. (BTW what happens to the
meme of equal footing! Why are some 'stakeholders' continually more
equal and than the others).

Even more surprising is the formal role vis a vis the representation of,
or at least as the platform for, all non gov groups that is now clearly
conferred on 1Net, an entity about which no one knows what it is, really
- who controls it, what is it supposed to do and so on.... Civil society
groups had on many occasions, including through formal representation,
conveyed to the Brazilians that they are not looking forward to be
represented through 1Net, or even have their communication routed
through it, ..... Civil society formally made known the names of 4
liaison persons for routing communication to them..

So, while anointing 1Net as 'the' non gov platform for the 'Brazil
meeting', simultaneously clear claims and requests from civil society
were completely ignored. Was it put forward by anyone during the LOG
meeting that such has been the civil society stand (against 1Net
mediation) . And if it had indeed been put forward, what was the
response of the LOG, and what justifications was provided for its
decision. Civil society must be told all about it. It is not willing to
be taken for granted, and play the B team to the powerful groups.... We
have very high hopes from the Brazil meeting, and the best way to
nurture them would be by treating civil society's decisions and requests
with due respect, and so on...

I simply do not yet know what 1Net is...As I have often said, I find it
very useful as a cross-stakeholder groups discussion space... Some of us
did not take much interest in nomination to 1Net's coordination
committee because one really had no idea what it was to do.... We were
told that the coordination committee would decide what 1Net would do.
But now a lot seems to be decided for it already. Who is it pushing
1Net, who are such powerful players behind it that what looked like a
mere discussion list gets suddenly conferred with such a powerful role.
We never suspected before those nominations to its coordination
committee that 1Net would become 'the' non gov stakeholders platform for
the Brazil meeting, and would play such a central formal role in it....
This decision, especially the manner of taking it -  is  a major
disappointment. It is in my opinion, a decision taken without good
justification, and in disregard of common civil society positions
communicated to the LOG.

Hope to get more information on these issues...

Best, parminder