[discuss] Current drive

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:59:57 UTC 2014

Alejandro,

The problem with approaching the “public interest” in the way that you are
suggesting is that notions of the public interest are at the normative level
which means that they are values that underlie the entire range of decisions
and perspectives in a particular area rather than something from which one
can pick and choose.

As an example, a “public interest” approach to public transit will make
provide criteria concerning decisions about routing, stops, pricing and so
on based on how to optimize benefits to the public rather than how to
optimize return on privatized investment.  From my experience municipally
owned public transit looks rather different from transit in places where it
is privately owned/managed. Of course, there will need to be considerations
of financial sustainability (and trade-offs between subsidies for public
transit and other calls on the public purse) and there are considerations of
local culture (including political culture) as between different locales,
but you get my point

I think that as the significance and scope of deployment of the Internet
grows and the Internet becomes even more ubiquitous the calls for (and
arguments in support of) seeing the Internet as a (global?) public utility
operating (i.e. being “governed”) “in the public interest” are growing apace
at least outside of circles dominated by a neo-liberal ideology.

Given the heightened awareness following the current struggles against
neo-liberal ideology driven privatization of water supplies in various parts
of Latin American I would hope that issues of how to treat the Internet as a
public good would be a focus of discussion in Sao Paulo.