[discuss] we need to fix what may be broken

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 20:53:34 UTC 2014

On 19/04/2014 21:33, Michel Gauthier wrote:

(once again via JFC's server:

> At 01:26 19/04/2014, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> On 19/04/2014 10:05, Michel Gauthier wrote:
>>
>> (via JFC's server:
>>
>> > Now, I have a question about IPv6 you might be able to answer: what it
>> > is the follow-up on RFC 4984?
>>
>> I am interested to know what that has to do with Internet governance.
>
> This what I would like to be explained. When I read "Since each
> technology step roughly doubles memory, that implies that if demand
> grows faster than about (2x/1.5x) = 1.3x every 2 years, then technology
> refresh will not be able to remain on a constant cost curve.", I have
> questions about how the situation develop by someone like Barry who
> sound to be IPv6 critically correct.

I am interested to know what that has to do with Internet governance.

>> I have an equally relevant question. Are the two following French
>> wikipedia entries about the same person?
>>
>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gauthier_%28homme_politique%29
>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gauthier_%28journaliste%29
>
> You know how politicians and journalists answer poeple's questions: with
> their own questions: "would Jefsey Morfin be a Canadian MP? This would
> be an interesting insight, as it could mean he is on the Gov side?"
> Also, there are more information on
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gauthier and http://telepresse.com
> (we have not changed the page for 16 years).
>
> A reciprocal question; have you really requested what Stephane
> Bortzmeyer reports in http://seenthis.net/tag/person:brian%20carpenter ?

Not being a politician, I have no problem answering that question. Yes,
I suggested that change to the joint declaration:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg74215.html

> I think your position was an important for the IG. How could trust that,
> if some stakeholders are not transparents, their proposed MS-IG could be
> transparent?

As Stéphane Bortzmeyer hinted in his blog post, the phrase
"free of charge or at low cost" would cause difficulty to an SDO like
the IEEE that funds its standards activities to some extent by selling
the standards. It did not surprise me that the comment did not survive
as part of the compromise text.

I answered the question because it concerned my own actions, but I am
interested to know what that has to do with Internet governance.
The IEEE does not write Internet standards.

Enough troll-feeding for one day, I think.

    Brian