[discuss] global cyber sovereignty [was discuss Digest, Vol 3, Issue 67, etc.]

Joe Alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Sun Feb 23 13:24:20 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

As I read this thread, I wonder what percentage of average users would be considered "informed" or sufficiently technologically intelligent to understand issues of root management.  It would be easy enough to make users feel uncomfortable about a fact, but what is it that we are asking for when we use this informed/intelligent option.

Likewise, concern has been stated related to the US role.  The concern seems to be 2-fold.  One the fact that the incorporation of the organization requires US applicable law and 2, the continued role of the USG, which has been described as fairly neutral and custodial - looking somewhat like the "stewardship" concept in the paper.

Which of the two is the predominant problem?  If the latter, and there is a concern of potential abuse rather than an existing example of abuse, can it be addressed by greater transparency and accountability?

Also one of the hallmarks of any approach to governance and the sovereignty related to it is the ability to establish stability and predictability; what I have called the Hippocratic approach of first do no harm.  How does that argument get factored in these concepts of sovereignty?

Joe