[discuss] Academic sector appointments to the 1net steering committee from multiple platforms

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 19:18:06 UTC 2014

Hi Seun,

Thanks for your note and for your suggestion.  As I mentioned, the Community
Informatics (CI) community is currently going through a formal NomCom
process to identify candidates both for CS nominations and for "academic"
nominations given that we include significant active elements from both
civil society and academia.

We would of course, be delighted to collaborate in any way appropriate with
Giganet and others and the Giganet nominating process however, I think that
the CI nominees guided as they would be by the consensus CI Declaration may
have different interests and inputs than those coming from Giganet.

CI "academics" almost without exception, are or have been working with
grassroots users to facilitate local access, use, and development by means
of the Internet.  The consequence of this is that their activities on the
proposed committees would certainly reflect this on the ground practical
experience and, based on their associated research would introduce a
significant and broadly based knowledge component into these activities and
through this means, hopefully into the meeting as a whole.

Best,

Mike