[discuss] Academic sector appointments to the 1net steering committee from multiple platforms

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Jan 5 20:23:47 UTC 2014

Michael,
Time for someone to call your bluff. Is your CI community civil society or academic? You now claim that either one will do. That seems to expose this whole effort of yours as nothing more than a vehicle for getting yourself on a committee.

CI describes itself as concerned with ICTs and their impact on community, especially local communities. That's an interesting and perfectly legitimate set of interests, but it is far more general than the issues we are concerned with and fairly remote from global internet governance (unless of course, you want to perpetuate the fallacy of calling anything and everything related to the Internet as part of global internet governance.)

Thus it not surprising that no one from this CI community has established a significant presence in ICANN, IGF, the RIRs, IETF or any of the other institutions directly engaged with IG. The one person who seems to overlap those worlds - you - is also involved in and represented in IGC and IRP - and you could be involved in Giganet as an academic if you wanted to be. If the people involved in those entities didn't choose to nominate you for these positions, then that's your problem, not the entire 1net community's problem.

So please, stop pretending that CI is some massive grassroots movement related to Internet governance that deserves special representation; and stop pretending that  your frustration with not being selected by CS means that their procedures were illegitimate.

You are your group are free to contribute position papers to the process and to attend, as far as we know. Why don't you see how far you can get on persuasion and education, if that's really your  mission?