[discuss] shifts in IANA/accountability discussion: your thoughts?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jun 22 02:40:29 UTC 2014

Milton,

On Jun 21, 2014, at 4:00 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> Or, if you prefer, keep IANA in ICANN but separate out the DNS policy making process.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by the imprecision in the use of "ICANN" here.

What do you mean by 'ICANN' in the above?

Do you mean ICANN the
a) corporation and/or staff[1]
b) community
c) GNSO+CCNSO+ACs
d) board of directors
e) none of the above (then what do you mean?)
f) all of the above

FWIW, as I suspect you're aware, IANA staff has already been separated out of DNS policy making, at least as long as I joined IANA staff in Nov. 2005 (I doubt this was reversed in any way after I left in July 2010). Speaking personally, it also seems to me that DNS policy making is driven primarily (if not exclusively) by the GNSO or CCNSO (depending on what TLDs we're talking about).

Regards,
-drc
[1] Full disclosure: in case anyone was unaware, https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-06-20-en (but I'll not be a member of ICANN staff until Aug 4).