[discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

Shatan, Gregory S. GShatan at ReedSmith.com
Fri Mar 14 20:00:08 UTC 2014

Naresh:

You originally cited “the best of my experience,” yet when asked to elaborate on that experience you point instead to NETmundial contributions.   That’s not an answer (unless your personal experiences are in a particular paper, in which case a page-specific cite would be appreciated).  Again, when you talk about the best of your experience, what are you referring to?  And in your experience of multistakeholder governance, which were the “sensitive issues” you refer to where the spirit was lacking, and when did this occur?

Also, I see “engagement” and “outreach” being used essentially synonymously in the discussion of expanding participation.  “Engagement” is not trivial.  Wrapping a non-answer in a semantic game, however, is trivial.

I, and others, have attempted to engage with you substantively and in good faith.  I don’t believe that responses like this, which appear evasive and add nothing of substance, are in the “spirit” of such substantive good faith discussion.  I hope you will consider providing substantive responses.

Greg Shatan

From: Naresh Ajwani [mailto:ajwaninaresh at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 12:03 PM
To: McTim
Cc: Shatan, Gregory S.; discuss at 1net.org
Subject: Re: [discuss] Will there be life on 1net after IANA is globalized? (:-)

McTim,

.."Can you elaborate on your experience, especially on which issues are "sensitive"?

Here my submission is that it wud be apt to refer to contributions/papers posted at NETmundial website, especially the ones advocating multilateralism and the ones saying need for all inclusive stakeholderism. These papers are covering sensitivities too besides reasonings.

"... In addition, to echo what Dr. Pisanty says downthread, there is a great deal of outreach going on.  I recall that in the AFRINIC region, they have built a new WG to engage government folks and to help bring them into the PDP.  The RIPE region also has a similar outreach program for governments specifically."

First of all, my submissions are in my personal capacity and  discussions are not on trivial issues like engagements. When I am referring to outreach programs,  it is for expanding stakholderism or costituencies with rights.

Regards & best wishes

Naresh Ajwani