[discuss] 💰I think I've found it!

Nadira Alaraj nadira.araj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 06:56:57 UTC 2017

+1 for archiving all the communications went on this list as part of the
Internet Governance history.

+1 to repurpose this list, maybe to work on documenting the value added
perspectives as on going effort, we all work for the future but rarely we
find a one place that compiles and collects historical facts on an ongoing
basis. This might attract people who believe in the saying " to know your
future you must know your past"

On Sep 3, 2017 9:33 AM, "Carlos Raul Gutierrez" <crg at isoc-cr.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Thanks Seun for raising this possibility. Unfortunately I have to report
>> that the revised Netmundial Initiative is now dormant, for a number of
>> reasons; one of which was a change of government in Brazil which wanted to
>> distance itself from any achievements of the previous government; but there
>> were many other reasons as well. And although some of us think a second
>> Netmundial Conference would be beneficial, I don’t know of any initiative
>> to get this underway.
>>
>> But to also look at Olivier’s question: if this list is to be disbanded,
>> I do hope it is archived, because I think it does have some unique
>> historical significance. There are not many global statements that deal
>> with the range of issues confronting the Internet – and this one is the
>> only one I know of which was developed and adopted in a bottom-up
>> multistakeholder fashion. So I think what went on here was unique and
>> should not be lost from the historical record.
>>
>> As regards any future; well, I must admit to a great deal of frustration
>> personally at the way some of the issues we discussed at Netmundial have
>> evolved since then. Personal data protection has definitely got a lot
>> worse, both from a surveillance point of view and also as regards use of
>> personal data for commercial purposes. And anyone trying to address these
>> issues,and particularly their transboundary dimensions, seems confronted by
>> a very cosy relationship between large internet corporations and a few key
>> large governments which seems to go along the lines of “give us easy access
>> to your data for surveillance purposes, and we won’t regulate you”. Win-win
>> for them, the rest of us are I believe losing some fundamental rights to
>> privacy and freedom of expression.
>>
>> Some similar issues arise when we get to discuss cybersecurity and
>> cyberwarfare, to raise a couple of other issues. These are not being
>> addressed in a sensible manner, and I believe cannot be addressed
>> effectively without the sort of comprehensive multistakeholder co-operation
>> we saw at Netmundial.
>>
>> So if this list fades, I hope some initiative gets underway to address
>> these issues and looks at cross-stakeholder discussion on emerging issues
>> in a world where nation state jurisdiction and the power of global internet
>> corporations are on a collision course where nobody wins. I have just
>> mentioned a few issues above, there are many more where I believe some
>> concerted action and co-operation would be beneficial.
>>
>> Ian Peter
>>
>> PS Interested to know if anyone here has been stopped at US borders and
>> denied entry until they hand over their Facebook password? I hear reports
>> of this happening, and certainly an application for US visa includes a
>> (non-compulsory) question where you nominate the details of your Facebook
>> and Twitter accounts. Practices like this are awful and should never become

>>> history?
>>> 2. is the 1net.org domain & web site going to be archived too, beyond